What Would Cause This?

Everything else from what I can test, work’s fine, I just get this. Based on my memory of what they text should say This is just a portion, but every where that should have text, it does this.

I’m doing AppDirAssistant (pre-scan, install app, then post scan, run profile). The app shows up perfectly through the profiling process.

Then I do AppImageAssistant. This is the result of when I run an app post profiling.

Here is what the error is generated in terminal.

What would be the best way to fix this?

I had an earlier error that I was able to just copy and paste from the main live install director into the AppDir equivalent location (I would have uploaded a screen shot of that, but I’m only allowed 1 per post).

Is there a way to fix this for it to work as an AppImage?

Something regarding Pango is broken. Most likely some parts of it are bundled and some parts of it are not, or it is using some absolute paths.

Which application are you trying to bundle? Note that AppImageAssistant is deprecated, appimagetool is the replacement.

I’m trying to bundle Gnome-Boxes. I figured this would be the best way to be able to deploy VM software across many computers without having to re-install all the time. Especially with a high turnover rate of computers. Hopefully this one won’t be as bad as VirtualBox, but I might be whistling Dixie on that.

I tried to bundle Wine as quite a bit of my software will run under Wine, but I have not been able to successfully bundle Wine either. AppDirAssistant just clears out while doing post install scanning.

I am aware that AppDirAssistant and AppImageAssistant have both been deprecated, however, using the new yml format is not for me. I have no idea where to start on that or how to even fill and run those scripts/recipes. I tried to study them, but only a few things were common among each one. I certainly wouldn’t know how to do the scripts. I tried to run some of the examples and all that it said was can find line 1 or something along those lines.

Another thing that I thought I would ask about is that when I am successful on getting an AppImage that runs on various 14.04 OSs, it always fails on the newer ones. Most of the time I get some library file not being there. It’s linked in the AppImage itself, but apparently the base system doesn’t have it, even though it’s just a newer version of the same OS that I compiled it on.

Is there anyway, with the tools that I’m able to use, to get it to move the “real” files over for the AppImage and not just linked files? My main concern is less about size and more about stability of being able to not worry about if it will run or not on a newer OS.

Again, I had looked at the one example of a YML file that was mentioned by you in another post that was supposed to do that, but I know, I don’t know enough of what I’m doing to even get an already done yml file to work.

It’s really just for Gnome Boxes (since VirtualBox isn’t able to be done) and WINE (some computers I need to deploy a VM, some I can get by with just WINE), all my other program needs are actually fulfilled by existing AppImages. The only one I had to change was Inkscape to add in a few extensions and palettes that I use.

Any way to get those 2 done with all necessary libraries moved over and not just linked? Like I said, size isn’t an issue, it’s more about stability.

Let’s improve documentation on the yml files, which parts are unclear? I was hoping to make them as self-explanatory as possible but I know that I am still owing a formal documentation for them.

As long as you use ingredients for trusty or earlier, the resulting AppImage should run on 2014-ish and later distributions. Would that suit your needs?

[quote="probono, post:6, topic:123"]

Let’s improve documentation on the yml files, which parts are unclear? I was hoping to make them as self-explanatory as possible but I know that I am still owing a formal documentation for them.
[/quote]

I’m really not good at programming. Even if I knew, it wouldn’t be elegant code that’s for sure.

I just don’t know how to build one, nor what code may or may not be needed. I tried looking up yml in general, but nothing in there, that I’m aware of, was geared for this type of application.

I need a place to where I can get baby steps for the particular use (in this case AppImages) that I’m going for. Most of the places that I’ve looked at, assumed a certain level of knowledge that I just don’t have and they talk about things in general terms, that I just don’t have enough knowledge to apply that to this case.

The one thing that I really liked about AppDirAssistant and AppImageAssistant was that it appeared to be just swap program 1 for program 2 and run the AppDirAssistant and AppImageAssistant accordingly. Even though, I’ve had varying levels of success, I’ve atleast had success. Trying to come up with a YML file is adding another item for me to trouble shoot, that I just don’t know where to even start troubleshooting.

14.04 and later is absolutely fine. The oldest OS that I’m running is Zorin OS 9 which is 14.04. The others are 16.04 and a couple 16.10s.

I use Ubuntu 14.04 live image for all of my compiling for AppImage creation. Sometimes it will run in other 14.04 flavors, sometimes it won’t. Every single time, it breaks running in 16.04 and later.

It’s always a dependency issue.

Like I said, size isn’t an issue, I would rather have every dependency in there, not just a linked version of it and not have to worry about it not working.

WINE and a virtualization program (I’m more familar with vbox, but boxes should work as well and if it’s easier to get as an AppImage, I’m all for it), as I have to run some Windows programs as there are no Linux versions (beyond the alpha stage) to use in a production environment.

The others, you have in bintray and I only had to tweak Inkscape for some extensions and a palette.

But again, even if it’s an 80MB program, I have no problem with a 500MB AppImage. I try to run lean installs anyway (as far as local installs). 500GB HD and I only use 10.7GB, so that should show how lean I try to run it, so I’ve got plenty of space for redundancy if need be. My main goal is stability.