AppImage

Opensuse Leap 42.2 .AppImage Applications Will Not Run

Hello, I have been trying to get Etcher installed on my laptop running opensuse with KDE. I have made my file executable, and tried running it in the terminal. The app will not run, bash says permissions denied, this holds true even when run as root.

I have since tried running different programs in .AppImage formats. None have worked, all the same error.

When run in Dolphin, the app opens in K3B. I have tried running the same files from a Fedora live disk, and the files run as expected.

I have searched the web trying to find a solution, and I have yet to find anyone with any problems beyond the file was not made executable. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please try running the AppImage from the command line and paste any error messages here.

I ran an ls to show the file was indeed executable, and ran it both as myself and as root (using sudo).

nick@linux-laptop:~/Downloads/Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64> ls -l
total 68352
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nick users 69992448 May 12 01:17 Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage
nick@linux-laptop:~/Downloads/Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64> ./Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage
bash: ./Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage: Permission denied
nick@linux-laptop:~/Downloads/Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64> sudo !!
sudo ./Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage
root’s password:
sudo: unable to execute ./Etcher-1.0.0-linux-x64.AppImage: Permission denied

If you havn’t solved this, perhaps check if Downloads is mounted with noexec. Does the problem only occur with AppImages or can’t you execute at all in Downloads? Should work actually. I have a standard Leap 42.2 desktop install and it runs AppImages just fine, also from Downloads folder.

Please run as root:

chmod a+x /usr/bin/fusermount
chown root /usr/bin/fusermount
chmod u+s /usr/bin/fusermount

Then try running the AppImage again, as a normal user. Does it work?

Turns out to be a Tumbleweed bug:
https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1041159