Integrating AppImages into the greater system using libappimage

Hi, I’m working on an application that integrates appimages into the system, similar to AppImageLauncher, however I want it to integrate the appimages into the greater system. The predefined system formats such as appimage_register_in_system() use XDG-HOME with no other options. Is there any way to directly call the integration functions to use a different location? I would rather integrate to /usr/share then ~/.local/share and the only way I can think of would be to go into the libappimage code and change every occurrence of xdg-home. Thanks.

Hi @Seren541, thanks for your interest in AppImage.

Please ask questions regarding libappimage directly over at Issues · AppImage/libappimage · GitHub because I don’t think its developers are reading here.

Be aware that there are already several projects that roughly do what you are describing. Maybe it’d be better to contribute to one of those projects rather than creating yet another one?

By the way, by now I am convinced that the proper way to do this is to integrate support for the AppImage format directly into the file manager, without any daemons, and without any desktop files and the like. That’s all way overcomplicated.

By the way, by now I am convinced that the proper way to do this is to integrate support for the AppImage format directly into the file manager, without any daemons, and without any desktop files and the like. That’s all way overcomplicated.

Agreed but how would this be implemented

Whenever the file manager would “see” an AppImage, it would read its icon, etc.

1 Like