How to use AppImage in SliTaz GNU / Linux 5.0 / Como usar o AppImage no SliTaz GNU/Linux 5.0

Title: How to use AppImage in SliTaz GNU / Linux 5.0

Hello dear colleagues from https://discourse.appimage.org.

I would like to start by thanking the creators and maintainers of this forum and for the excellent AppImage project. I want AppImage to become the standard for all Linux distributions.

A short summary of what I’ve been looking for since I started researching and studying Linux, full comment on the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtiWLZQFo0&t=994s.

"I am starting in the Linux world, one of the biggest difficulties is to identify a distro that is compatible with the requirements of hardware systems, there is a distro that doesn’t even report it on the website, which is absurd!

The other difficulty is precisely the question of how the installation files are managed, it is a “mess”! Spreading parts of the program in different directories, everything would be easier if it was necessary to download directly from the creator of the program, unzip it in an appropriate directory and run the program.

A “stack” of repositories, each distro with its own repository, incompatibility between packages and distribution versions …

The impression I have is that in the world of Linux distributions the goal seems to be to isolate one from the others or each in its own world, which indirectly makes each Linux distro a “Windows” or a “Mac”, with surname Linux or GNU / Linux. What is the point in this isolation or distance between Linux distributions? "

I read today on a website where a newcomer commented very intelligently, “… if the developers of the distros came together to develop the same distro, we would have fewer distributions, but final products of excellent quality …”

Another difficulty is to find a distro that allows the offline installation of packages with some kind of ease, which so far I have not found. For those who have internet that works well, it is wonderful, but for “standard” Brazil internet, it is not “FIFA” standard (analogy to what was required for the hosting of the Soccer World Cup in Brazil), extremely expensive and terrible quality, the distro always ends up with the online installation, sometimes it doesn’t start anymore. "

I apologize for the long introduction, but I can finally say …

I found the solution!
It’s the AppImage!
Thanks to Probono.
You are a genius!

I managed to run the programs in AppImage format on antiX Linux 19.2 (Chromium) and Slax 9.11.0 (LibreOfficeFull), but unfortunately I was unable to make it work on SliTaz GNU / Linux 5.0.

Could you please help me make SliTaz GNU / Linux 5.0 work?

I changed the properties of the programname.AppImage, with the right mouse button, Properties, Permissions tab, changes in Access control, View content: Anyone, Change content: Anyone, Run: Anyone, Okay, two clicks on the programname.AppImage file or pressing Enter, did not work in SliTaz.

I tried to apply the commands via terminal:
$ chmod a + x programname.AppImage {Enter}

$ ./programname.AppImage {Enter}

or

$ sudo ./programname.AppImage {Enter}
Password:

s: ./: Permission denied

But unfortunately it didn’t work on SliTaz.

I already thank anyone who can help me.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

Título: Como usar o AppImage no SliTaz GNU/Linux 5.0

Olá caros colegas do https://discourse.appimage.org.

Eu gostaria de começar agradecendo aos criadores e mantenedores deste fórum e pelo excelente projeto AppImage. Desejo que o AppImage torne se o padrão para todas as distribuições Linux.

Um pequeno resumo do que eu venho procurando desde que comecei a pesquisar e estudar Linux, comentário completo no link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtiWLZQFo0&t=994s.

"Eu estou iniciando no mundo Linux, uma das maiores dificuldades é de identificar uma distro que seja compatível com os requisitos de sistemas de hardware, tem distro que sequer informa isso no site, o que é um absurdo!

A outra dificuldade é justamente a questão de como são gerenciados os arquivos de instalação, é uma “bagunça”! Espalhar partes do programa em diretórios diferentes, tudo seria mais fácil se fosse necessário baixar direto do criador do programa, descompactar em um diretório apropriado e executar o programa.

Uma “montoeira” de repositórios, cada distro com o seu repositório, incompatibilidade entre pacotes de versões de distribuições …

A impressão que eu tenho é que no mundo das distribuições Linux o objetivo parece ser de se isolarem uma das outras ou cada uma em seu próprio mundo, o que indiretamente, torna cada distro Linux um “Windows” ou um “Mac”, com sobrenome Linux ou GNU/Linux. Qual é o sentido neste isolamento ou distanciamento entre as distribuições Linux?"

Eu li hoje em um site em que um novato, comentou de forma muito inteligente, “… se os desenvolvedores das distros se unissem para desenvolver a mesma distro teríamos menos distribuições, mas produtos finais de excelente qualidade …”

Outra dificuldade é encontrar uma distro que permita a instalação offline dos pacotes com algum tipo de facilidade, o que até o momento eu não encontrei. Para quem tem internet que funciona bem, é uma maravilha, mas para internet “padrão” Brasil, não é padrão “FIFA” (analogia ao que foi exigido para a realização da Copa do Mundo de Futebol no Brasil), internet extremamente cara e de péssima qualidade, a distro sempre acaba travando com a instalação online, as vezes não inicia mais. "

Peço desculpas pela longa introdução, mas é que posso finalmente dizer …

Encontrei a solução!
É o AppImage!
Graças ao Probono.
Você é um gênio!

Eu consegui executar os programas em formato AppImage no antiX Linux 19.2 (Chromium) e no Slax 9.11.0 (LibreOfficeFull), mas infelizmente eu não consegui fazer funcionar no SliTaz GNU/Linux 5.0.

Por favor poderiam me ajudar a fazer funcionar no SliTaz GNU/Linux 5.0?

Eu alterei as propriedades do nomedoprograma.AppImage, com o botão direito do mouse, Propriedades, aba Permissões, alterações em Controle de acesso, Ver conteúdo: Qualquer um, Alterar conteúdo: Qualquer um, Executar: Qualquer um, Ok, dois cliques sobre o arquivo nomedoprograma.AppImage ou pressionar Enter, não funcionaram no SliTaz.

Eu tentei aplicar os comandos via terminal:
$ chmod a+x nomedoprograma.AppImage {Enter}

$ ./nomedoprograma.AppImage {Enter}

ou

$ sudo ./nomedoprograma.AppImage {Enter}
Senha:

s: ./: Permisão negada

Mas infelizmente não funcionaram no SliTaz.

Desde já agradeço a quem puder me ajudar.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

Hello @marcelocripe

thanks for reaching out, great to hear.

AppImage has specifically designed so that it needs no special support from the Linux distribution.

From my personal experience, hardware compatibility in mainstream distributions like Ubuntu and its derivates is quite good.

Spreading parts of the program in different directories, everything would be easier if it was necessary to download directly from the creator of the program, unzip it in an appropriate directory and run the program.

AppImage does not even require you to unzip, the application stays compressed inside the AppImage all the time.

The impression I have is that in the world of Linux distributions the goal seems to be to isolate one from the others or each in its own world, which indirectly makes each Linux distro a “Windows” or a “Mac”, with surname Linux or GNU / Linux. What is the point in this isolation or distance between Linux distributions?

Some Linux distribution maker thinks they have so different ideas from the other Linux distributions that it justifies making a “different operating system”, even though 99% of the software stack is made out of the same components. Some Linux distributions even think applications should be made specifically for them (e.g., elementary OS). Also, some desktop environment makers think applications should be made specifically for one desktop environment (e.g., Gnome).

I think this counterproductive. We should think of “desktop Linux” as one platform, and our goal should be compatibility. I think most “real life” applications nowadays are expected to run on Windows, Mac, Linux, and maybe even Android and iOS. So they need to be cross-platform.

But in “desktop Linux” land, no one seems to agree on anything and there is no leadership that would coordinate everything that is going on (unlike Microsoft and Apple controls what is going on in their platforms).

More about this in a talk I gave a wile back:

I found the solution!
It’s the AppImage!

Thank you. Glad you like it. Spread the word.

Could you please help me make SliTaz GNU / Linux 5.0 work?

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that distribution, and I am focusing on the “mainstream” ones like Ubuntu. Maybe you can download a Ubuntu Live ISO (or one of its derivatives like Xubuntu) and run the AppImages there?

$ chmod a + x programname.AppImage {Enter}

$ ./programname.AppImage {Enter}

Please use chmod a+x, not chmod a + x.

What does ls -lh ./programname.AppImage {Enter} say?

probono,

Thank you for responding.

I apologize for the delay, I am having to do several tests, including installing programs (packages) in the SliTaz distro and antiX without access to the internet, video and audio and other basic programs that are necessary for any user.

Before applying the commands, in graphical mode, I made the following changes to the permissions on the file ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage, right-click, Properties, Permissions tab, changes in Access control, View content: Anyone, Change content: Anyone, Run: Anyone, Ok

The commands were applied in SliTaz without the space, I don’t know why, but the Google translator includes space where there isn’t.

Commands via terminal:
$ chmod a + x ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}

$ ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}
/ bin / sh: ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage: not found

$ ls -lh ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}

-rwxrwxrwx 1 User User 89.0M Jul 5 14:20 ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage

About what you wrote:
“AppImage does not even require you to unzip, the application stays compressed inside the AppImage all the time.”

I know that, so it is even better, as there is no need to compress, this is the way and it will certainly be the future for Linux distro.

“But in“ desktop Linux ”land, no one seems to agree on anything and there is no leadership that would coordinate everything that is going on (unlike Microsoft and Apple controls what is going on in their platforms).”

You can be that missing leadership, hopefully it will become the way to bring together so many distros.

“Some Linux distribution maker thinks they have so different ideas from the other Linux distributions that it justifies making a” different operating system ", even though 99% of the software stack is made out of the same components. Some Linux distributions even think applications should be made specifically for them (eg, elementary OS). Also, some desktop environment makers think applications should be made specifically for one desktop environment (eg, Gnome). "

In my view, the creators of Linux distributions should be focused on developing the distribution and assisting newbies in getting the distro to work on computers, instead they are wasting time on maintaining repositories and updating them.

“More about this in a talk I gave a wile back:”

I do not master English, unfortunately, so much so that this text was written in Brazilian Portuguese, I have no idea what will arrive for you and if it will make any sense, well … thankfully there is an online translator, but the abyss in communication between languages ​​would be even greater. I know it would be a lot of work, but if there is a way to subtitle your lecture or even better, transcribe it into your language, so I could at least read it. I’m curious!

“Thank you. Glad you like it. Spread the word.”

I’m already doing …, the most difficult thing was having access to information about AppImage, although the internet exists, finding what you are looking for is not easy, especially for the Linux world and still because there are few tutorials.

“Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that distribution, and I am focusing on the” mainstream “ones like Ubuntu. Maybe you can download a Ubuntu Live ISO (or one of its derivatives like Xubuntu) and run the AppImages there?”

The problem with the most popular distros is that they are following the same path as MS Windows, the path of programmed obsolescence, we live in times where programmed or forced obsolescence exponentially increases the amount of garbage on the planet, most of which go to third world countries or underdeveloped, as if they were donations to needy people.

When they are not electronic waste (referring to the previous paragraph, those that are no longer repairable), technologies in full operation are discarded due to the increasing requirements of hardware requirements (Processor and RAM) of MS Windows and various Linux distributions that follow the same path, the path of programmed obsolescence.

My main goal is to reuse donated or discarded computers / notebooks, which have not yet gone to waste, they have about 512 MB up to 2 GB of RAM with DDR1 or DDR2 technology, Intel processors: Pentium IV, Celeron, Atom, or AMD processors: Athlon, Duron, etc. So far, I have managed to test Xubuntu and Lubuntu, these two cannot run well on computers with low memory and very old processor, Tiny Core Linux, antix Linux and SliTaz, are the distro that worked best, but each one brings different problems, due to the great variation of hardware, being difficult to be solved without help in the communities, for now these are being the distributions, which in my view, will be able to prevent these computers from being playeds in the trash. In Brazil, there are many people who do not have a computer or access to the internet, sometimes they only have access to a computer through non-profit non-governmental organizations (NGOs). My other challenge will be to install other programs on these computers without internet access, that is, locally, this is where AppImage makes all the difference.

I ask that you look carefully at these distributions that are minimalist, making AppImage functional in these distributions.

If I can get AppImage to work on distributions that are not based on Debian, you can be sure, probono, that I will post in the communities and indicate this post with your credits.

Thank you for helping me.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

probono,

Agradeço por responder.

Eu peço desculpas pela demora, eu estou tendo que fazer vários testes, entre eles de instalar programas (pacotes) na distro SliTaz e no antiX sem acesso a internet, vídeo e áudio e outros programas básicos que são necessários para qualquer usuário.

Antes de aplicar os comandos, no modo gráfico, eu fiz as seguintes alterações nas permissões no arquivo ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage , botão direito do mouse, Propriedades, aba Permissões, alterações em Controle de acesso, Ver conteúdo: Qualquer um, Alterar conteúdo: Qualquer um, Executar: Qualquer um, Ok

Os comandos foram aplicados no SliTaz sem o espaço, eu não sei porque, mas o Google tradutor inclui espaço onde não tem.

Comandos via terminal:
$ chmod a+x ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}

$ ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}
/bin/sh: ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage: not found

$ ls -lh ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage {Enter}

-rwxrwxrwx 1 Usuario Usuario 89.0M jul 5 14:20 ./ungoogled-chromium_71.0.3578.98-2_linux.AppImage

Sobre o que você escreveu:
“AppImage does not even require you to unzip, the application stays compressed inside the AppImage all the time.”

Eu sei disso, por isso é ainda melhor, pois não é necessário compactar, este é o caminho e certamente será o futuro para as distro Linux.

“But in “desktop Linux” land, no one seems to agree on anything and there is no leadership that would coordinate everything that is going on (unlike Microsoft and Apple controls what is going on in their platforms).”

Você pode ser essa liderança que faltava, espero que se torne a forma de unir tantas distros.

“Some Linux distribution maker thinks they have so different ideas from the other Linux distributions that it justifies making a “different operating system”, even though 99% of the software stack is made out of the same components. Some Linux distributions even think applications should be made specifically for them (e.g., elementary OS). Also, some desktop environment makers think applications should be made specifically for one desktop environment (e.g., Gnome).”

Ao meu ver, os criadores das distribuições Linux deveriam estar concentrados no desenvolvimento da distribuição e em auxiliarem os novatos em colocar para funcionar a distro nos computadores, ao invés disso, estão perdendo tempo em manter repositórios e atualizá-los.

“More about this in a talk I gave a wile back:”

Eu não domino o inglês, infelizmente, tanto é que este texto foi escrito em português do Brasil, eu não tenho nem ideia do que chegará para você e se fará algum sentido, bom … ainda bem que tem o tradutor online, senão o abismo na comunicação entre idiomas seria ainda maior. Eu sei que seria algo muito trabalhoso, mas se houver uma maneira de legendar a sua palestra ou ainda melhor, transcrevê la para o seu idioma, assim eu poderia ao menos ler. Estou curioso!

“Thank you. Glad you like it. Spread the word.”

Já estou fazendo …, o mais difícil foi ter acesso a informação sobre o AppImage, apesar da internet existir, encontrar o que se procura não é fácil, principalmente para o mundo Linux e ainda por existirem poucos tutoriais.

“Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with that distribution, and I am focusing on the “mainstream” ones like Ubuntu. Maybe you can download a Ubuntu Live ISO (or one of its derivatives like Xubuntu) and run the AppImages there?”

O problema das distro mais populares é que estão seguindo o mesmo caminho do MS Windows, o caminho da obsolência programada, vivemos tempos onde a obsolência programada ou forçada aumentam exponencialmente a quantidade de lixo no planeta, a maioria vão para os países de terceiro mundo ou subdesenvolvidos, como se fossem doações as pessoas carentes.

Quando não são lixo eletrônico (referente parágrafo anterior, os que não possuem mais conserto), tecnologias em pleno funcionamento são descartadas devido as exigências de requisitos de hardware (Processador e memória RAM) cada vez maiores do MS Windows e de várias distribuições Linux que seguem o mesmo caminho, o caminho da obsolência programada.

O meu principal objetivo é de reutilizar computadores/notebook doados ou descartados, que ainda não foram para o lixo, estes possuem cerca de 512 MB até 2 GB de memória RAM com tecnologia DDR1 ou DDR2, processadores Intel: Pentium IV, Celeron, Atom, ou processadores AMD: Athlon, Duron e etc. Até o momento, eu consegui testar Xubuntu e o Lubuntu, estes dois não conseguem rodar bem em computadores com pouca memória e processador muito antigo, o Tiny Core Linux, o antix Linux e o SliTaz, são as distro que melhores funcionaram, mas cada uma trás problemas diferentes, devido a grande variação de hardware, sendo difíceis de serem solucionadas sem que haja a ajuda nas comunidades, por enquanto estas estão sendo as distribuições, que ao meu ver, conseguirão impedir que estes computadores sejam jogados no lixo. No Brasil, existem muitas pessoas que não possuem computador ou acesso a internet, por vezes só passam a ter acesso a um computador por meio de organizações não governamentais (ONG) sem fins lucrativos. O meu outro desafio será de fazer as instalações dos outros programas nestes computadores sem acesso a internet, ou seja localmente, é aí que o AppImage faz toda a diferença.

Eu peço que você olhe com carinho a estas distribuições que são minimalistas, tornando o AppImage funcional nestas distribuições.

Se eu conseguir fazer funcionar o AppImage em distribuições que não são baseadas em Debian, pode ter certeza, probono, que eu postarei nas comunidades e indicarei esta postagem com os seus créditos.

Agradeço por estar me ajudando.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

Pentium IV, Celeron, Atom, or AMD processors: Athlon, Duron

Are you looking for 32-bit (i386, i686) AppImages then, instead of 64-bit ones?

Most AppImages are made for 64-bit processors. And most distributions for 64-bit processors require 2-4 GB of RAM. Still, most computers made 10 years ago should be sufficient.