Questions regarding linuxdeploy output

Hi. I recently posted about allowing “modern” versions going forward (ie., not having to or being able to support LTR 16.04 and 18.04). Related to that I have 5 questions (and one remark) regarding the linuxdeploy output.

First, as I mentioned in the other post, I am building my appimage against Kubuntu 20.04. My app is a qt5 app. I had mentioned that my current appimage works great with any current linux distro but that I had to fiddle with the appimage to make it work fedora 32. The “fiddle” was the discovery that it wouldn’t work because it was missing …/usr/bin/Platforms (qt Platforms from qt plugin directory). I just wanted to mention this because I did use the appimage qt plugin to build and maybe the platform issue is overlooked by the plugin?

On to the output questions:
1)

Skipping deployment of blacklisted library /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
This is the enforcement of the must work with 16.04 requirement, right?

WARNING: Not calling strip on binary /home/juus/RCWork/AppImages/commandoo.AppDir/usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5: rpath starts with $
I had a lot of these! In fact, as far as I can tell, every lib file had this warning…have I done something wrong?
3)
[appimage/stderr] fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /home/juus)
Soooo, fatal? This was the first line of several that dealt somehow with git repos. I am building in a simple folder outside of my git enabled development folders. Is this a problem?
4)
[appimage/stdout] /home/juus/RCWork/AppImages/commandoo.AppDir/commandoo.desktop: warning: value “” for key “Path” in group “Desktop Entry” does not look like an absolute path
I had followed, I thought, the recommendations for the .desktop file, so I left the PATH= blank. It says “absolute path”, what should I put, then, in the PATH entry?
5)
[appimage/stdout] Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, gzip compressed, data block size 131072
[appimage/stdout] compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments, compressed xattrs
[appimage/stdout] duplicates are removed
Then, 7 lines later, it says:
[appimage/stdout] Number of duplicate files found 28
Soooo, is this my fault? Should I be doing something?

Thanks for any insight. I am not always online so I may be delayed in responding to any questions, thanks for your patience.

Hi @Juuliuus, welcome to AppImage.

Regarding “modern” versions: I don’t think it’s best practice to assume that all users always have the latest OS version. Hence I want to ensure that applications are built in a way that allows them to run on all still-supported mainstream distributions, especially all still-supported Ubuntu versions. Which for practical reasons means that one should not compile on any system newer than the oldest still-supported Ubuntu LTS. (This has nothing to do with AppImage specifically - if I was developing an Android app, I would also want to make sure that it runs e.g., on Android 5 and up rather than just on Android 10 which practically no one has yet.)

Please ask linuxdeploy related questions in https://github.com/linuxdeploy/linuxdeploy because its author doesn’t read here.

Thanks!

Hi, Ok, will do. I’ve actually already figured out a number of my questions myself.