Is appimaged run locally or centraly?

is appimaged run locally by an individual user or as a central daemon for all users? From the documentation it looks like its intended to be run by each user, which is fine for appimages stored in a the users home folder, but for appimages moved to /opt o some other central location it makes more sense for appimaged to be run centrally.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Yes, this is currently the only implemented and tested method. Since appimaged runs per user, it runs only while a certain user is logged in. So should not make a big difference. But it enables the user also to use per-user AppImages, which we want to encourage - so that the user can get software without needing a root password.

Thanks, that makes sense, and while I get and support letting users use per-user AppImages, to me it makes more sense if appimagd was a central service that allowed for both centrally installed root apps and user installed apps. That would make AppImage even easier to use.

I don’t understand why it is for single users only. If there are 10 users on my system, all users have to install the appimage separately? Plus, they are very large files stored in the home directory which gets backed up. Why would I want to backup all appimages? And, if each user needs the app and installs it, then suddenly we are backing up 10 copies of each appimage? Sure, I guess I could make a special folder for each user and remove it from backups, but that is cumbersome. Wouldn’t it simply make more sense to install it centrally so that all users can use it? It sounds like you have created a way for individual users to run software that is not approved by admin. I just don’t get it. Any suggestions for work arounds? Thanks.

I don’t understand why it is for single users only. If there are 10 users on my system, all users have to install the appimage separately?

You never have to “install” an AppImage. Normal users don’t have root permissions and hence can’t write to system-wide locations. If you do have root permissions, then you can e.g, move your AppImages to /opt and all users will be able to execute them from there if you give them the necessary permissions to do so.

Plus, they are very large files stored in the home directory which gets backed up. Why would I want to backup all appimages?

If you don’t like them to be backed up, why don’t you simply move them to another directory that doesn#t get backed up? You can put AppImages in any location you like.

And, if each user needs the app and installs it, then suddenly we are backing up 10 copies of each appimage?

Again, AppImages don’t need to be installed. And again, normal users don’t have write permissions in locations where all users can access files.

Wouldn’t it simply make more sense to install it centrally so that all users can use it?

If you do have root permissions, then you can e.g, move your AppImages to /opt and all users will be able to execute them from there if you give them the necessary permissions to do so.

It sounds like you have created a way for individual users to run software that is not approved by admin.

Yes.

This is not for admins but for normal users.

Any suggestions for work arounds?

Use a package manager, if you like that model.