32bit program, running on 64

I have a binary 32bit program, I tried in some way for running it on 64bit OS, But I couldn’t.
Can I create a AppImage for doing it?

1 Like

I, too, was wondering this as I have a use case where this could come in useful.
Is this possible?

Yes, it can be done. But there is currently no tool that can do it fully automatically. Which application are you trying to bundle as an AppImage?

We have a 32bit ghost binary that we use for disk imaging. I was hoping to be able to wrap this single binary with its dependencies so that we can run it on a 64bit-only distro.

You need to bundle ld-linux and all needed 32-bit libraries inside the AppImage. Doable, but manual work at the moment.

Hmm, alright, cool! That tracks with my assumptions about how appimage works.
I assume that I can read how to do that in the documentation.
I just didn’t want to beat my head against the wall trying to do something that isn’t supported by the framework.
Thanks!

As written above, it definitely can be done, but not automatically.

Here is an example of 32-bit WINE running a 32-bit Windows application on 64-bit Linux systems with no need for any 32-bit libraries to be installed on the system:

https://github.com/probonopd/libhookexecv/releases/download/continuous/NotepadPlusPlus-7.7.1-x86_64.AppImage

You can use --appimage-extract to extract its contents and see how it is done.

Hi, I had nearly the same problem as the OP.
I try to make an AppImage from an old 32 Bit App (Eagle, an E-CAD)…
The application had worked fine under Ubuntu 14.04 & 16.04, now 32 bit support is dropped in Ubuntu.
OK, I thing it must be easy to make an AppImage and uses this under newer releases.
I had done lot’s of testing. My current state is:
I got it running, but the app will crash (segmentation fault).

My first aproach was using pk2image → seg fault
Then I make my own AppDir. After I figured out how to use the 32-Bit Ld (by examining the Wine-Notepad-AppImage mentioned above), I get the same result → seg fault

Now I am out of ideas…
Even if I made an AppDir that contains all Libs from Ubuntu 16.04 the seg fault will happen (on newer releases).

When I start AppRun from inside the AppDir eveything works when doing this under Ubuntu 14.04 or 16.06. Seg fault will be given un all later release (I try this inside VMs and rel PCs).

Any sugestion ?

PS.: I try using AppRun from AppImageKit as well as writing my own shell-script similar to the one in the mentioned 32 Bit AppImage above)

Hard to debug without more information and a vendor unwilling to create an official AppImage.

The problem is: The vendor doesn’t exist anymore

Good luck then. You can probably make an AppImage by lots of trial and error.