Trying to package Bombono-dvd as Appimage

Hi all!
I have been trying for a couple of days to convert a .deb package of the Bombono-dvd app as Appimage, since the program doesn’t have any release for the new Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa)
I did this on a 18.04 system, the last one supported by the app.
I did manage to have a working Appimage for 18.04 but it doesn’t on Focal. I ecountered two issues. First one is an error I get when I try to start the Appimage, I get this: “execv error: Permission denied”.

Anyway I noticed this error doesn’t occur if I try to start the AppRun from the AppDir folder, but I have issues with the needed libraries, that on 20.04 have different versions. I managed to get needed libraries from 18.04 and bundle them into the Appimage, so that they shouldn’t be needed in Focal, but now I get the following error:
“bombono-dvd: /home/user/bombono.appdir/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found (required by /home/user/bombono.appdir/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)”.

Could anyone help me with this?

Hello @ghoppaccia, please ask the developers of Bombono to provide an AppImage. Thank you very much.

Sadly the person who wrote this software ended up abandoning the project, not aware the future was in AppImage format.

I’m trying to get this working myself, but I’m thinking there’s that “programmatically” situation regarding building the software. I’ve tried the fixes, but that didn’t help. Every time I try to run the created AppImage, I get the following error:
/tmp/.mount_bombonb7knfh/AppRun: line 50: /home/roracle/Applications/usr/bin/bombono-dvd: No such file or directory

If there is a way around this, I’m all ears. I’m very much interested in doing the work to get this fixed, and I’m not above going to the github and trying to get the guy’s attention about it.

Also, if there’s already a problem I’m overlooking in my AppRun file, please let me know:
AppRun-bombono

I just forked Bombono DVD and am going to call it OpenBombono, and I will attempt (with my limited coding knowledge) to get it updated for making an AppImage. Any help would be appreciated!

Is there a GitHub repository for OpenBombono?

Greetings!

I am terribly disappointed to discover Bombono’s developer has lost interest in this program. FWIW, I think it’s one of the most user-friendly programs for creating a DVD that I’ve ever come across. I suppose that’s one of the drawbacks of open source software. It’s damn hard to keep a roof over your head and food in the fridge when there isn’t much, if any, income. Still, kudos to all of you who have the skill and experience, plus the dedication and commitment to FOSS!

It has been a long, LONG time since I’ve tried to do any programming, with that said, I am more than happy to try and contribute my skills toward re-creating Bombono as an ImageApp.

It looks like it’s been quite some time since this discussion was active. Does this mean that there’s NO ONE interested in rising to this challenge? Frankly, I find that hard to imagine!

As I was reading through this thread, I recall someone else stating that when they attempted to run Bombono DVD as an ImageApp, an error message appeared referencing a particular file. Sadly, I cannot recall the error message reported, but I will go back and make note of it as I think it may be, at least, a part of the problem.

Back in a bit…

Okay, I’m back.

The individual who started this thread, @ghoppaccia , mentioned two errors. The error I was focusing on was

“bombono-dvd: /home/user/bombono.appdir/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found (required by /home/user/bombono.appdir/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)”

As I stated before, I AM NOT a coder! However, since @ghoppaccia stated that GLIBC_2.29 had been packaged along with the other files required for the AppImage AND that the error message seem to indicate that various ‘pieces-parts’ of the program were unable to locate GLIBC_2.29, I wonder if this library was installed in the AppImage correctly. It very well may have, but I DO NOT KNOW.

I did find the fork for OpenBombono, but it doesn’t look like there’s been much activity associated with it.

In having a brief look 'round, it appears that failing to include required libraries and any other dependencies is not at all uncommon with AppImages. This very well may be why friend @probono has ginned up a bit of programming magic called linuxdeployqt (GitHub - probonopd/linuxdeployqt: Makes Linux applications self-contained by copying in the libraries and plugins that the application uses, and optionally generates an AppImage. Can be used for Qt and other applications). It seems that linuxdeployqt does most of the ‘heavy lifting’ when it comes to libraries and other required dependencies. Can’t speak for anyone else, but anytime a piece of software saves me work, I’m all for it!

So, FWIW, I’d suggest anyone interested in picking up the Bombono gauntlet that’s been thrown down, familiarize themselves first with linuxdeployqt. I know I plan to make a point of it!

Please build the software that you intend to put into an AppImage on the oldest system your users might be using.

For practical reasons, no never than the oldest still-supported Ubuntu LTS release, which is bionic at this time.

And do not try to bundle glibc, as this is really more complicated than one would think.

Tools like linuxdeployqt will bundle the required libraries automatically, trying to do this manually is cumbersome and usually needs a lot of trial and error.

Hi probono,

My sincere apologies if I left you, or anyone else, with the impression that my intention was to attempt to build an AppImage of Bombono-dvd. With my current level of knowledge and experience, I would do well to get a computer to spit back Hello World! at me!

I did, quite unintentionally, create a fork of Bombono-dvd, which may have lead you to the impression that I was going to attempt a build. I have been trying to suss out exactly how I remove my fat-fingered error, but so far I have been unable to find any instructions on how to remove an unintentionally created fork. If you could direct my efforts, that would be capital! Or should I simply bring this matter to the attention of the site?

I have just begun to learn about linuxdeployqt, but, quite frankly, I am in agreement with you that, as a tool, it seems far easier to use and more robust than AppImage. But then, my opinion and 6.00 will buy you a latte at Starbucks!

Cheers!

AppImage is the file format. linuxdeployqt is a tool that can build AppImages. There are many others as well: