AppImage

Run AppImage on Windows

Windows 10 includes the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), also known as “Bash for Windows”. This can be used to run AppImages on Windows.

Microsoft has made it a bit harder than double-clicking a file, though:

1. Enable developer mode (hello Microsoft, Linux is not just for developers)
  2. Install Windows Subsystem for Linux
  3. Install Xming (or another X Windows Server that runs on Windows) and launch it
  4. sudo apt install libgtk2.0-0 # and possibly some other deps we consider part of each system
  5. export DISPLAY=:0
  6. chmod a+x /mnt/c/Users/User/Downloads/Leafpad-0.8.18.1.glibc2.4-x86_64.AppImage
  7. /mnt/c/Users/User/Downloads/Leafpad-0.8.18.1.glibc2.4-x86_64.AppImage --appimage-extract since Windows doesn’t support FUSE yet (vote on it if you would like to see this change)
  8. ./squashfs-root/AppRun

If Linux wasn’t just for developers, we wouldn’t be telling people to open up a terminal just to run an app they’ve downloaded. Just saying that the mentality is that it is for developers.

Great work on getting this experiment working!

You dont have to use a terminal.

Yep, but go to http://appimage.org and see what it says. To someone who doesn’t know otherwise, you do!

That’s a good point. The homepage should explain both options rather than having the GUI solution only on the forum.

@probono I’d suggest the gif image here, be placed on the homepage before or beside the command option.

I guess the real issue is that desktop environments don’t handle ELF files that are lacking the execute bit not ideally:

https://github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/issues/374

If you care about this, please open an issue ticket with your favorite desktop environment and ask for ELF files that are lacking the execute bit to be handled more gracefully.

Hello sorry if thread is old. I am new for AppImage - I will learn about AppImage because I am initial for AppImage. That is nice like BoxedApp Packer for Windows - Nice idea.

Hehehe I will ignore to Windows - If you use WSL because Windows has to use BoxedApp Packer or Cameyo